Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Southern California Fires

I'm not sure how much information is being shown on the news outside of southern California. I spoke with my mom yesterday and she said that as of monday morning, there was not much about the fires on the news in Utah. On sunday afternoon, we went outside for some fresh air and it was SOOOO windy. Come to find out it was the Santa Ana winds and it blew down large trees right near our place. Then we saw tons of smoke and knew there was a fire in Malibu, but Brett was not sure that the smoke we saw was from the Malibu fire. We watched the news that night and sure enough, the smoke we saw wasn't from Malibu, it was from a fire about 10-15 miles east of us in a city called Canyon Country. So all of this was on Sunday. Then.......

Monday morning, Brett was on his way to work and he had to turn around and come home because the freeway he takes was close because of a new fire, in Piru which is west of where we live. He ended up finding another route to work which took him 1 hour and 40 minutes. There were freeways and roads being closed all around us. I continued to watch the news and saw the Canyon Country fire get worse and new fires pop up all around us. I was out on my porch looking at the smoke from one fire and watching the planes drop the red stuff, and the helicopters flying around when the lady across the way from me says "what is that fire over there?" Well, from where I was I couldn't see this new fire so, Wyatt and I went outside to get a better view and this is what I saw....(look below)
I was like oh CRAP! I went in and called Brett to tell him where I was going to go if we got evacuated. On the news, they were saying that the neighborhoods about 2 miles from us were being (voluntary) evacuated. It's been so sad and pretty crazy to watch. The fires just keep spreading and getting bigger. The winds are so bad right now (up to 108 mph in Piru) that it makes it hard to contain the fires. This is unreal. On the news, they are saying that by the end of the fires, they are guessing that the evacuation numbers will be around 750,000 people. Our family is doing well. We have been so lucky to not have to have been evacuated. It's like there are fires all around us and we are in the center of it and thankfully the fires are moving away from us. We are doing well so no worries here.



5 comments:

Lance and Becky said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing okay, and that you haven't had to evacuate. It's so sad, I feel so terrible for all those people! Markell's parents house burnt right down, I couldn't even imagine. I'm so glad you guys are doing good, and that the fires are moving away from you! Love you guys!

The Dunyons said...

Great excuse fo you guys to come home! Just tell Bretts boss that you got evacuated from your apartment and didnt have anywhere to go! So is it going to be Thanksgiving or Christmas? hopefully both!

barbaraence said...

I am so glad that you are doing okay. Those fires are so horrible. I hope they keep moving away from you. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'd like to invite you to mine email me your email address at barbara.ence@gmail.com!

--barbara

Anonymous said...

Holy cow that's crazy that you're so close! I can't imagine what those people are going through...glad you are safe, Coopers!

Alicia and Daniel said...

HOLY COW!!! They are so close becareful with the air and those babies...